Pyrethroid, photostable, technical material.
Uses - Mode of action
Permethrin 25/75 is a photostable pyrethroid insecticide from the first generation.
It is the first amongst those pyrethroids which was synthetised in 1973 and commercialised in 1977.
It has been used, for a number of years, for crop protection such as cotton and cereals thanks to to its photostability properties, then progressively abandonned for more effective actives of more recent generations.
However, thanks to its very interesting caracteristics (efficacy, low toxicity, very good stability to day light and heat, cost efficiency, etc.) Permethrin 25/75 remains one of the most used pyrethroids amongst those used in the non crop area.
Permethrin consists of 4 isomers : 2 cis and 2 trans ; the cis isomers are the most active.
Permethrin 25/75 acts mainly as a contact but also a stomach poison. As, all pyrethroids, it is active on the nervous system in altering the conduction of the nervous signal along the axones.
Thus, thanks to its broad efficacy spectrum on insects, its long–lasting persistence, its very favourable toxicological profile for humans and for warm-blooded animals, and its biodagradability, Permethrin 25/75 is still very largely used in a lot of situations :
- in public health, against external human and animal ectoparasites, (lice and their eggs, fleas, ticks) and against vector insects (mosquitoes and other biting insects and mites in the human environment). W.H.O. recommends the use of Permethrin 25/75 for the impregnation of mosquito nets.
- in public hygiene : to control cockroaches, etc., and for long term control of flies and mosquitoes.
- in household applications : aerosols for the control of flying and crawling insects, anti wasps, etc.
- in industry : for wood preservation, wool protection and other materials protection such as fabrics.
- against stored products insect pests (weevils, woodlice, lesser grain borer, dermestids, etc.)
In particular, using Permethrin 25/75 in aerosol formulations, such as :
- aerosols against flying insects (flies and mosquitoes), ensures the ‘’kill’’ effect of these formulations, in addition to a knockdown agent.
- aerosols against crawling insects, ensures the residual efficacy required against cockroaches, bugs, silverfish, psocopteroids, etc.
- anti-moths aerosols for the protection of clothing, blankets and carpets against attack by common moths and carpet beetles.
The combination of the insecticide and the residual properties of Permethrin 25/75, along with its very low mammalian toxicity make it a very effective product for the manufacture of aerosols against crawling insects, along with those for aerial formulations and diluted in a solvent.
50 kg drums.